Monday, March 7, 2011

How dare they!!!!

When I was in Adelaide recently my father (aged 91) told me that his doctor has such terrible handwriting, that recently he was given a prescription at a consultation, which he had to drive some 3 kms  to see the doctor.  When he took the script to the chemist he was told that they could not read the doctor's writing, so he had to take it back to the doctor.  Which he did, but as the doctor had departed from the surgery, he left it and was told that it would be mailed to him.  Which it was.

(I was angry that the chemist and the surgery could not solve the problem without expecting my father to do the leg work for something that was clearly not his fault.  The doctor is older and refused to use a computer as most doctors now do, for such tasks. )

I was with my father when he presented the prescription at the chemist, one which he had been visiting regularly for some 30 years, and this time they refused to provide the medication because the doctor had written a date some 5 days in advance!!!  My father, already having used up his previous prescription, now would have to go without his medication until the date on the prescription.

I was furious, so took the prescription from him and stormed to the counter!!!!  Angry?  Sure was!!!!

I pointed out to the staff that my father had already been given the 'run around' due to the incompetance of the doctor and the pharmacy, and that this latest event was unacceptable.  The poor writing of the doctor was such that the date could be construed as any number - and that I was not leaving until my father was given his medication.

There was a quick discussion between the chemist and staff member, (the former looking like she was terrified of me!) and they agreed to give him the medication.  I thanked them and sat down and shortly afterwards Dad was given the medication, for which he paid at the counter.

He's a wily old man, and knows that he (and he is sure others) are being ripped off by the system.  He is a Repat Patient, having servced with the military during WWII,  and some months ago he went to the Repat Clinic for a regular appointment.  His 'usual' doctor had gone, and he saw another doctor, so on noting his address, suggested it would be easier for him to visit her surgery nearer his home.  Sounded good. 

He did go for his next appointment, and his prescription was written on a normal script pad.  He didn't realise this until later, and found out he would have to pay a higher price than normal because of that.  He went back, and asked that the prescription be put on the correct paperwork.  He noted that there was some discomfort with all of this - and he has the feeling that he has been 'poached' from the Repat System.

I'm sure this sort of 'rorting' if I can call it that, is going on, and those who do not know or stand up for themselves are being manipulated in a very deceptive way.  He will not complain to any authority - he is already feeling intimidated by the system.

No comments:

Post a Comment