Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Dealing with 'Family Matters'

Since Dad passed away on July 14th, there has been a lot of mail in relation to our father's life, and as my sister not only holds the "Power of Attorney" for our mother but is the local family member.  Mum is certainly not capable of dealing with any of the business side of things.  In fact, she still does not understand that Dad has died.  There are fleeting moments when she can be rational about it, but for the most part, she is just angry with him for not visiting, and she makes up terrible stories about what she suspects he is doing.  Sad.

I am staying in the unit that Mum and Dad have lived in for over 20 years, and cleaning it out.  Mum will never come back here to live, so we must either sell it or rent it. 

It is interesting 'going through Dad's things.  I think I have written about the way Dad downsized - he certainly did prepare but we are dismayed by what he disposed of, and what he kept.  Some things seem quite bizarre.   The kitchen cupboards are bare.  He kept a couple of saucepans, a meagre supply of crockery and cutlery, and a few miserable items of food in the fridge.

I am amazed at the number of pairs of shoes that he had.  Good quality shoes - I'd love to have had so many.  All of his clothes will be donated to charity - and there are quite a lot to go!

We have received Dad's death certificate and I have made copies for the various organisations that need a copy, and I have a number of people to contact, things to do.

Yesterday I went to the movies.  I've detailed that here.

I am also preparing for the inevitable demise of our mother.  We will be more organised next time.



No comments:

Post a Comment