Sunday, October 3, 2010

Inspired by Sir Michael Parkinson

I've been reading Parky, the autobiography of Sr Michael Parkinson, and towards the end of his book he talks about ageing, and his work with a program called Ageing with Dignity in the UK.  I've done quite a bit of research on my own, as the topic has been of interest to me for many years.

I remember that in my nursing days (when I was a teenager training in Mt Gambier, South Australia) how concerned I was about ageing.  At the time we had many "patients" in residence in the hospital, as there was limited aged care outside of this establishment, and there were many folk there for the duration of the rest of their lives.  It certainly was not a good place for aged care, they were fed, washed, and kept as comfortable as we could make them, but it was a pretty awful existence for them.

I recall stating that I would "do away with myself" when I reached 40 - that seemed a good age to me, and so, so far away from my tender years.  Clearly by the time I reached 40, I had changed my mind, but it has always had an impact on me, that older people were not cared for very well.

Some years ago, a friend was "graced" with government housing - and she is still there, in a pokey little house that is dark, too small even for one person, and very gloomy.  Not only is it small and miserable, but there is no on-site care, and my friend, despite her disability, has often been called upon to help residents there, as she is more able than many of the residents there.  The establishment is a block of pokey 'units' on a busy street corner, with low fences and prone to unwelcome visits by drunks and other low life, and hardly comfortable and secure for the residents.  I have always been appalled at the treatment of our elderly by our government, but unless and until, younger people seek better accommodation and services for the senior members of our community, we will all find ourselves living in such situations.

And if you have every tried to find aged care accommodation for a family member, or care for a younger member of the family who is/has become frail and needing care, you will see how disadvantaged this group of people are.  You will learn how difficult it is to find one's way through the maze of red tape and garbage.  Very frustrating and long winded.  And to find the in the end the accommodation is pretty basic. 


Here is the video with Sir Michael Parkinson.

No comments:

Post a Comment