Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Compass Program

On Sunday night (October 31st, 2010) the Compass program on the ABC dealt with an issue that I believe is worth watching, and considering.  I didn't find it as confronting as many people, because it is an issue that I believe should be discussed with family.

The brave doctor from I think Geelong Hospital in Victoria, discussed the End of Life, and how even when people are very elderly and unlikely to have any quality of life remaining, how we expect doctors to perform miracles and save the elderly.  

Families need to learn how to 'let go' and let the family member die with dignity.  It is something I will discuss with my family.  I am preparing a living will.  I want a quality of life at the end, and I will be accepting of some medical treatment to try and save me, but if I am over 80 years old, I do not want all the tubes and invasive treatments to prolong a life that may not have any quality.  

The video may only be available on the website for a short time. Click here 

No comments:

Post a Comment