Sunday, November 28, 2010

Exploitation of Elderly

Sadly it is something that has been going on for years - somehow an uncrupulous son or daughter, (or other family member) has the power (perhaps due to an power of attourney) to take control of their parent/s money and use it for their own ends.

The Sunday Mail (November 28th, 2010) reports on this issue in a piece which highlights the problem.  In our state we have some legislation to protect elderly people, but if the family moves them interstate, they have no such protection - a case for their being a national law on this issue rather than just a state issue.  How big an issue is it?  Who knows.  But it is complex.  My own family situation is difficult - Dad, who is distressed and I believe dementing has control over Mum's things, and he's just giving everything away.  Money?  Who knows what is going on there.  Can I do anything about it?  No, he won't let me help him.  Maybe he thinks I want to take his money, I don't know. 

It is a complex problem, that's for sure.

Sunday Mail article here.

No comments:

Post a Comment