Sunday, December 22, 2013

Donating One's Body for Science

I learned recently that one could donate one's body for science.  I made enquiries and now have a couple of documents to sign (and get witnessed).  I suspect it is done in major cities around the world, but I had never explored it before.

Medical students and scientists welcome the donation of a body for scientific or study purposes - and I reason that since I no longer want it when I am dead, someone may use it. 

It does require some thinking time - and I am ok with it - in fact don't care what is done with my body when it is of no value to me any more.  There are no great benefits to me or the family - other than the fact that eventually, when it is finished with, the body is cremated at no cost to the deceased's family, and the ashes are returned to the designated family.  I plan to leave instructions for somewhere for my ashes to be left.  As I was born in Adelaide - I wouldn't mind that some of them be scattered somewhere there - and as a Queenslander, I guess the bulk of them should remain here.  I don't think any family member would be keen to keep my ashes anywhere - so I am ready to sign.

Not that I am planning to "go" any time soon - but I want to be organised about it.

I hope by mid 2014 that I have in order a folder with all my wishes etc within it - so that many decisions are made by ME - allowing my family to just grieve and say goodbye.

This website contains much information about body donation.  Click here.
 
 
(One of my wishes is that purple flowers be on display for any memorial service for me - I'd prefer purple orchids but it will depend on the season!)

No comments:

Post a Comment