Friday, December 20, 2013

Nursing Home Sadness

My mother is in a nursing home in Adelaide.  Sadly, this is the reality for her.  Sadly she has dementia and lives in a strange world. Her own world.  Sadly her physical condition is deteriorating. 

Unfortunately I do not see her often  as I live in Brisbane, and though I have been to Adelaide three times this year, I regret that I cannot see her very often.  My sister visits her weekly, and finds it so difficult to do as sometimes my mother is "cranky" and sometimes she is so confused that she doesn't recognise her. It is so hard on her - and I feel sorry for her.

How sad it is for many of our seniors living in nursing homes that appear to be so understaffed and/or staffed with folk who don't seem to care - or have not the time to do for the old people.  My mother seldom gets to wash her hands before a meal, and now if finding it difficult to feed herself, but there is too few staff to do all that needs to be done for the "oldies".

So what can one do?  No one knows what to do....

I wish I knew what to do...






 

No comments:

Post a Comment